The J. Allen Knox Radiation Therapy Center combines state-of-the-art equipment and the skills of a highly qualified staff to provide each cancer patient with a safe and effective personalized treatment plan.
Equipment includes a new TrueBeam radiotherapy technology system, two mega voltage linear accelerators for cancer treatment, a superficial treatment machine for the treatment of skin cancer, a simulator for planning treatment fields, and a computerized treatment planning system.
Treatment options available to patients include:
- IMRT (intensity modulated radiation therapy) with state of the art equipment to plan and deliver treatment of patients who need this cancer therapy. IMRT is the most precise form of radiation therapy available. It allows physicians to escalate the radiation dose to cancer cells, while keeping the dose to surrounding tissues as low as possible.
- IGRT (image guided radiation therapy) is a method of using images taken immediately prior to treatment to use extreme accuracy to target a cancerous tumor.
- 3-D Conformal Radiation Therapy which uses custom shaped beams to maximize the treatment of the disease while minimizing the radiation given to healthy tissues
- Brachytherapy (radioactive seed implants) is available to men with prostate cancer who are suitable candidates.
- TrueBeam, the latest advance in radiotherapy technology from Varian Medical Systems, developed from the ground up to deliver powerful cancer treatments with pinpoint accuracy and precision
Patients will receive information about their therapy during consultation. Convenient patient parking is available steps away from the center, which is located at the south (Hartness Road) side of the hospital.
For more information about radiation therapy and other cancer treatments, talk to your physician or call the J. Allen Knox Radiation Therapy Center at 704-878-4615.